BigCommerce Apps Quick Start Tutorial
On this page
In this quick start tutorial, you’ll create a single-click app using CodeSandbox, Node.JS, and Express.
You’ll need a Developer Portal account to register the draft app and a BigCommerce store to test the installation. If you don’t already have both, get them now:
Fork the sandbox
- Open the Express Hello World App in CodeSandbox.
- Click Fork in the top right.
Register a draft app
Next, register a draft app in the Developer Portal using the sandbox’s app URL. To do so:
- Login to the Developer Portal
- Click Create an App
- Give the app a name
- Click Technical
- Enter Auth Callback URL. Ex:
- Enter Load Callback URL. Ex:
- Enter Uninstall Callback URL. Ex:
- Click Update & Close
- Click View Client ID – this is the app’s
Keep this tab open for the next step.
Configure sandbox environment
After registering the app, enter the app’s credential’s and auth callback into your sandbox’s environment variables (codesandbox.io):
client_id=> the app’s client ID from the Developer Portal
client_secret=> the app’s client secret from the Developer Portal
Install the app
- Log in to your store and navigate to Apps > My Apps > My Draft Apps and install the app.
- If everything is configured correctly, you should get an
- Navigate back to My Apps to see the list of installed apps.
- Click Launch on the draft app to test the
- Navigate back to My Apps and click Uninstall to test the
Congrats! You’ve created and installed your first BigCommerce app.
- Apply to become a BigCommerce partner (required to publish apps to marketplace)
- Learn more about Building Apps
- Check out the App Marketplace