API v3 Documentation
The Bigcommerce Stores API features a RESTful architecture, allowing you to code in the language of your choice. This API supports the JSON media type, and uses UTF-8 character encoding.
All connections require OAuth2 authentication, and are secured by TLS encryption. Your client must also support SNI.
With clever use of this API, you can automate various commerce, business, and publishing tasks and integrate all kinds of apps with our platform.
Covers authentication, new features, planned additions, interoperability with the v2 API and control panel, and usage examples.
Using the v3 API
Using the v3 API
The v3 API is under active development.
Over time, we will migrate most of our API v2 endpoints to the v3 API. All new API endpoints will be exclusively built in the v3 API.
Advantages of v3 APIs include:
- Less API calls to accomplish most tasks
- Easily include subresources in the response for a resource
- Create complex resources + subresources in 1 API call (for example, create a product with its variants, images, and custom fields in 1 API call)
- Ease of pagination
metaobjects on all resources with all the details you need to easily paginate
- Flexible fields to easily store arbitrary data against most objects - this data can be specific to your application or publicly visible to other applications
- Superior performance and data rates
- Brand-new code under the hood with an eye to performance
- Including subresources allows you to sync lots of data quickly, especially on BigCommerce Enterprise stores
Additionally, the BigCommerce engineering team is building our new merchant-facing features on top of our these APIs, so they’ll be thoroughly tested in production environments by ourselves - a practice commonly known as “dogfooding”.
View our getting-started guides at https://developer.bigcommerce.com/api/guides/.